How to Start
COST OF SEWERAGE SYSTEM – WATER SUPPLY & PAVING OF STREET
Our experiences is that the infrastructure facilities as outlined in Mission-2020 to meet the basic needs of the villagers cost about Rs.50,000 or US$1000 per household or US$200 per person. Thus the total cost of basic facilities for a village of 200 household comes to (Rs.50,000 x 200) = Rs.1 Crore. Under the Plan Scheme NRI-1 of the Punjab NRI Department, the villagers need to come up with 25% (Rs.25 lac) and the Government of Punjab has agreed to provide a matching grant of the other 75% (Rs.75 lac).
COST OF OTHER INFRASTRUCTURE - as per actual sharing of same 25% – 75%
- Street Lights ( Solar – Electric)
- Upgradation of school (Computer room – computers)
- Village Park (Landscape, Children playground)
- Cremation Ground (Wood–Gas)
COST OF TRAINING
- Employment guarantee – Rs.500/-
(Course fee deposit Rs.5500/- but Rs.5000/- refundable after completing the
- Employment Skills – free
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MODERNIZE YOUR VILLAGE?
Here are the steps you need to take:
Any one or two visionaries who have a “CANDO” mindset can act as program promoters. Select a Village Development Committee of five or six persons with high credibility in conjunction with the Panchayat to monitor the Village Development Programme. When a village demonstrates the readiness to modernize and can come up with Rs.1,00,000/-(One Lac) or more depending on the size of the village, VLIF can help prepare a Village Development Plan which includes a detailed street map, complete specifications, and an estimate of the required resources. Every household in the village must be asked to make a contribution of at least Rs. 5000. Obviously NRIs and well-off people should be asked to contribute Rs.1 lakh per household or more. Their names are inscribed on a Pillar of Appreciation in the village. Overall the villagers need to come up with their 25% share of total costs.
VLIF will help villages obtain the matching 75% grant funds from the Government of
VLIF will assist, guide, and supervise VLIF the project implementation along with the Village
Development Committee/Panchayat. For small-scale business (i.e. dairy farms) VLIF can put the villages in contact with a bank for guidance and financial assistance.